Right now, millions of Americans face the devastation of Alzheimer's. This disease is robbing us of our families, our futures and our finances. At the Alzheimer's Association, our network of more than 75 chapters is working relentlessly to advance world-class research, ensure access to gold-standard care and support, and engage mission-driven volunteers who make it happen.
Alzheimer's Association Community Educators (AACEs) are volunteer public speakers who help raise awareness, provide education and expand the reach of Alzheimer's Association programs in the community. AACEs deliver Alzheimer's Association Core Curriculum using prepared training materials on topics related to Alzheimer's disease and other dementias as well as information for individuals and families impacted by the disease.
- Communicate effectively and deliver Core Curriculum (Common Programs) presentations and information to the community.
- Adhere to Alzheimer's Association's established curricula and position statements.
- Work with Alzheimer's Association staff partners to identify and coordinate education programs that reach target audiences. Coordination includes securing program partner, scheduling, preparing presentations, and managing needed materials.
- Serve as presenter for chapter-scheduled education programs and conferences.
- Connect members of the community with additional Association services by proactively making referrals to Alzheimer's Association programs & free 24/7 Helpline.
- Complete necessary paperwork for reporting.
- Proactive and passionate about the mission of Alzheimer's Association.
- Demonstrated success with public speaking, excellent presentation and education skills.
- Understanding of adult learning principles.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Comfort with computers and familiarity with email and PPT presentations.
- Ability to network, and collaborate with staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Experience with dementia as a family member or health care professional preferred.
- ACE volunteers commit to a 1-year term delivering a minimum of 12 presentations. Terms are renewable upon successful completion of annual goal-setting conversation with your staff partner.
- Orientation includes: online program volunteer welcome and orientation (1 hour) + self-study or in-person role training with staff partner (~2 hours).
- AACE volunteers must observe 1 community presentation led by staff or mentor + present 1 Common Program while being observed /evaluated by staff or mentor prior to deployment in the community.
- Background checks are required as part of the volunteer selection process.
- Comply with Alzheimer's Association volunteer policies and procedures.
- Participate in initial training and ongoing education about Alzheimer's, dementia and the Alzheimer's Association.
- Perfect your public speaking ability and technique.
- Serve your local community and people you care about.
- Increase your knowledge of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias.
- Be recognized in your community as a leader and resource for Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- Build your resume and skill set.
- Perfect your community engagement technique and help mobilize your community to create a world without Alzheimer's.
- Join a network of other volunteers, Alzheimer's Association staff and professionals and caregivers in the aging field.
- AACE volunteers work with local staff partners.
- This position is supported by the Manager of Programs and Education at the Memphis office of the Tennessee Chapter.
- Alzheimer's Association will provide training, information and electronic or printed materials in both English and Spanish to assist in your efforts.