To get started, please visit volunteer.alz.org, register and search for your opportunity to volunteer with the Tennessee Chapter!
Right now, millions of Americans face the devastation of Alzheimer's. This disease is robbing us of our families, our futures and our finances. At the Alzheimer's Association, our network of more than 75 chapters is working relentlessly to advance world-class research, ensure access to gold-standard care and support, and engage mission-driven volunteers who make it happen.
Early Stage Social Engagement Leaders plan, implement and assure positive experience during social engagement events/activities for people living with memory loss and their care partners. As leaders, individuals provide hospitality, support and volunteer oversight at social engagement events.
- Consult with staff and early stage advisors to schedule early stage engagement activities, secure event logistics, assure group safety, and coordinate volunteers to provide hospitality.
- At social engagement events, provide hospitality and support needed to attendees by working with additional volunteers to provide a positive experience for ES groups.
- Responsible for the management of early stage attendance statistics & rosters.
- Collect, distribute, and manage additional materials & literature needed by early stage attendees at events.
- Follow expectations and recommendations of the Early Stage Social Engagement Manual, including the handling of transition/termination of group members, participation in ongoing training and record keeping.
- Connect members of the community with additional Association services by proactively making referrals to Alzheimer's Association programs & free 24/7 Helpline.
- Demonstrated success in working independently and with a team.
- Organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Successful in engaging people with dementia.
- Ability to create and maintain a safe environment where participants' thoughts and feelings are valued and group members are treated with fairness, equity and respect.
- Commitment to promote the mission and services of the Association and willingness to act as an extension of the Association.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Early Stage Social Engagement Leaders commit to a 1-year term delivering a monthly group. Terms are renewable upon successful completion of annual goal-setting conversation with your staff partner.
- Orientation for the role includes: online program volunteer welcome and orientation (1 hour) + working with early stage training (1 hour) + self-study or in-person training with local chapter staff (~2 hours).
- Early Stage Social Engagement Leaders must observe 1 social engagement activity in the community led by a staff or mentor + demonstrate working with people with cognitive impairment prior to deployment in the community.
- Background checks are required as part of the volunteer selection process.
- Comply with Alzheimer's Association volunteer policies and procedures.
- Participate in initial training and ongoing education about Alzheimer's, dementia and the Alzheimer's Association.
Reporting and Support Provided
- Serve your local community and people you care about.
- Increase your knowledge of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias.
- Be recognized in your community as a leader and resource for Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- Join a network of other volunteers, Alzheimer's Association staff and professionals and caregivers in the aging field.
- Build your resume and skill set.
- Perfect your community engagement technique and help mobilize your community to create a world without Alzheimer's.
- Early Stage Social Engagement Leaders work with local staff partners.
- This position is supported by the Manager of Programs and Education at the Memphis office of the Tennessee Chapter.
- Alzheimer's Association will provide training, information and electronic or printed materials in both English and Spanish to assist in your efforts.